Monday, April 29, 2013

It'll Be Hard to Say Goodbye

If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart - I'll stay there forever.
~ Winnie the Pooh

What would be the end of another great school year without a bit of commentary on the whole situation?

I don't think I can really say that I've discovered something about myself, because I seem to "discover" this every year - so it's more of a rediscovery... 

But I'm really bad at goodbyes.

I wish I could say this is simply because I haven't had enough of them in my life, but I feel like I've had my share of them. I just don't like the end of things. I'm a beginnings kind of girl. 

I love starting a new book. I love spring. I love the beginning of a new school year. I love meeting new people. I love starting new adventures. And I love the first bite of a delicious meal!

So endings, although easier for me now than when I was little, are still not my favorite.
But here's the thing to remember about goodbyes:

If it's bringing a tear now, it probably brought a smile before.
And really, that's what you're after.

Life isn't about trying to find the path with no pain. It's about finding the path that's worth the pain.

If the goodbye is hard now, that's because the journey has been worth it. That person has made you smile. That place has been a home.

You want to find those things in life that are difficult to let go. Those are the things that stay with you.

There are many people this past year that have impacted my life - big and small. And quite a few of them I have to say goodbye to now. And it kind of sucks. 

But you know what? 
I'd rather it suck because it's been amazing than have it be easy because I didn't care.

Here's to a year that's been so amazing, it'll be hard to say goodbye.





No comments:

Post a Comment